Stainless steel jewelry becomes popular and fashionable, which brings a trendy look for many women all over the world. It is widely used as watches, wedding jewelry, stylish daily ornaments, etc. Regardless, stainless steel may easily get scratched and tends to lose its luster and become dull over time. However, you don’t need to throw out these stainless steel pieces, because of their dullness. Fortunately, there are many useful ways to clean stainless steel jewelry that we are pleased to introduce some of them today.
It is highly recommended that you should clean all kinds of jewelry on a regular basis. It is also the major procedure of taking care of your favorite ornaments. While there are a lot of processes to wash stainless steel jewelry, we only focus on the 5 easiest but most popular stainless steel cleaning process.
Common tools to clean stainless steel jewelry
To keep such jewelry clean and shine, the first thing you should remember is maintenance. If your collection needs a rigorous polish to restore its original beauty, that’s only because such the collection has been neglected for a long period of time. For us, it is best to keep up with the condition of your jewelry. Next, find a few tools that suit your demands the most.
Of course, these tools should be put aside as a kit just for your stainless-steel cleaning only. Who wants use the cloth which is also used to wash the dishes? We hope that the list below can be helpful for you so that you can know what’s important for your jewelry.
- Soft brushes
- Dry Cloths
Useful methods to clean stainless steel jewelry at home
The simple way: Water and Soap
Simply use soap and water – the common ingredients around your house – to clean your stainless steel jewelry when it becomes dirty or dull. Actually, this method does an awesome job on getting rid of any grime and pollutants on jewelry. Follow the basic steps below to know how to do:
- Pour a mild liquid soap into a container with warm water. Then, let the stainless-steel pieces be soaked in the solution for several minutes.
- Rub the pieces by using a soft cloth. It is nice to rub along its natural grain. You can use a soft-bristled if your jewelry has more compacted dirt or has grooves, engravings, stones and channels. At that time, it can be ensured that all the hard-to-reach places are cleaned.
- Rinsing is done with water thoroughly. Next, dry the pieces by using a lint-free cloth.
Baking Soda Paste
The baking-soda paste can be created by either mixing water and baking soda or a mix of vinegar and baking soda. Once you have reached a toothpaste-like consistency, it is time to use a toothbrush to slowly clean the jewelry. The basic steps below give you an understanding of how to do:
- Mix baking soda and water in a small bowl with the rate 2:1 to make a paste.
- Let a soft-bristled toothbrush be dipped into the mixture. It is good to use the toothbrush that has soft bristles so as to avoid scratching your jewelry.
- Gently scrub along the pieces with the toothbrush. Pay attention to the cracks and crevices.
- Next, rinse the jewelry under the warm water.
- Use a soft towel to gently pat the jewelry dry.
Toothpaste as a cleaner
Another wonderful way to clean stainless steel jewelry is to use toothpaste. The most important thing you should keep in mind is the type of toothpaste you want to apply. Some toothpastes are abrasive and harsh, especially the ones that include whitening agents. These are able to scratch and damage stainless steel, instead of cleaning it. That’s why a gel toothpaste which is mild and smooth will be an excellent idea. How to do this method are as follows:
- Choose a plain and soft toothpaste without silica.
- Dip the corner of a soft cloth under warm water. Then, let’s squeeze out any excess water because the cloth should be damp.
- Take a small amount of toothpaste onto the cloth. Make sure you take enough toothpaste to do this cleaning process.
- Use the cloth to gently rub across the surface of the jewelry.
- In some cases, a soft-bristled toothbrush should be applied to reach detailed, intricate areas. Gently scrub the toothpaste across the jewelry.
- Then, rinse the jewelry off with warm water.
- Gently pat the jewelry dry using a soft cloth.
Jewelry Polishing Cloth
If you have never used Jewelry Polishing Cloth before, let’s give it a try now. You can find yourself surprised by using a polishing cloth to remove tarnish on the jewelry. Such piece of polishing material is also beneficial in all the above processes as an alternative fabric. Surely, it is very practical and professional, too.
Jewelry often comes with a responsibility. That means you must be willing to take care of it. Along with cleaning stainless steel jewelry we introduce above, you should consider buying a jewelry case and lay your pieces on a polishing cloth. Just don’t leave them out within the surrounding elements.